In 2 minutes this aitem® will teach you about coaching and talent retention
Finding and keeping the best talent and rising stars in an environment that is unhealthy or prone to change is more challenging than ever, particularly with the onset of the gig economy.
Good people are your competitive advantage but making significant transitions in their knowledge, thinking or delivery to accommodate strategic business imperatives can be a struggle, especially if the in-house leadership capability isn’t available. It’s never too early to do a skills health check. Don’t assume your old-world IT and BAU teams are still fit for new-world purpose. Taking a look at your talent will be a positive experience for everyone if you approach it as a personal development opportunity. You’ll only need to go to market to fill your knowledge gaps if there’s no in-house solution.
Coaching of leaders and staff can lower the rate of personnel turnover by achieving higher levels of job satisfaction. A valued and motivated workforce wants to be involved and participate in the business, whether in the implementation of strategic change or BAU operations. Barack Obama summed it up perfectly: ‘Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.’
Enablers to success:
- Help individuals accept/adapt to change in alignment with their own goals and the organisation’s.
- Use the right tools/techniques (1-2-1 training, facilitation, counselling, networking) creatively.
- Empower leaders to lead by demonstrating the values and behaviours that will inspire the wider business.
- Develop personal competencies, not an unhealthy dependency on coaching or mentoring.
- Define your cultural values.
- Draft your own success mapping to define what your ideal manager looks like.
- Focus on the core skills employees need to perform better in their role.
- Generate measurable learning and performance outcomes.
- Set appropriate goals and methods of assessing progress.
- Enhance morale, motivation and productivity, as individuals feel valued and connected with change.